Pages

"Every Good and Perfect Gift Comes From Above" ~James 1:17

"Every Good and Perfect Gift Comes From Above" ~James 1:17
Thank you so much for coming to check out my brand spankin' new blog! I've never "blogged" before, so here goes nothin'! This page is inspired by our adoption process, and I am hoping to get words of encouragement or advice every step along the way :)

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Day 4: Family of four! :)

What a day. We took a bullet train from Beijing to Emily's province Shandong which took about an hour and a half. We arrived around 10 in the morning and checked in to one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed at,  the Hyatt Regency in Jinan. It was extremely foggy and much colder than I expected. We were told the children would arrive at 2 PM to our hotel. There are 4 families traveling together including us, and another family will be meeting us here today. So 5 kids, 3 under 3 years old, getting forever families today!! Emily is the only girl in the bunch.
I wasn't extremely nervous which was weird for me. I'm a worrier for sure. But I would get butterflies when I'd think about it. I wasn't sitting around in the room waiting so maybe that helped. We had to go to the bank and exchange the money we had hand carried from the US to China into Chinese yuan. This took hours for all of the families, nothing moves very quickly here!
After we got the money switched over we only had about 15 minutes back in the hotel room. We did some deep breathing and took a few pictures of the before. Then we headed downstairs. Eeek it was time! Every time the front door opened I looked for trailing kids. Finally our guide John told us the van was here. We all ran outside with video cameras on full blast ready to see our children for the first time! Emily was handed out first to the wrong family and immediately stated to cry. After some of the other children got off the bus they went back to grab Emily, and she came right to me :) her little introverted face and sad eyes have always been able to melt my heart.
We went over to a part of the lobby with chairs and Emily cried when I put her down to sit so I could sign some papers. So much commotion going on at this time. David is recording, I'm listening to a man speaking half Chinese explain Emily's basic daily schedule, Emily is clinging to me for dear life, Austin is trying to hold her, other families around us are meeting their child for the first time.... Such chaos.
So we sign several papers and then take Em to our room. It's clear she has several layers on, the Chinese really bundle their children up. What I didn't know was that under all that bulk was 5 layers of clothing and one tiny little girl. She's a long skinny thing!  18 months clothes fit in the width but are too short on the legs, which she hates!  She is definitely not used to her ankles showing; )
Em sits in the corner and watches us without making eye contact, and we can tell she's hot. We try to take off her outer fleece and she screams. Each layer takes about 20 minutes to remove, so we left most of them on. We had to go downstairs at 4 for pictures for her adoption certificate, which we weren't sure of how she would react. We get down to the lobby and she starts running around, pointing at the Christmas tree and giggling. What?? Who is this girl and what happened to the shy little girl from upstairs?  Lol it was great!
We came back to the room, gave her a quick bath with a washcloth and put her in her fleece jammies. David ventured out to get us dinner, he came back with some sort of chicken, rice, 2 much needed beers and bananas. All that took over an hour to get because of the language barrier. They said get bedtime is around 7-8 so we laid Emily down in her crib by our bed wide awake and she quietly went to bed. She was exhausted, poor baby. I can't imagine what must be going through her mind. She seems to calculate everything and misses nothing. Austin fell asleep right after Emily and David and I were soon after!  Scared and excited for what tomorrow will bring...
-Erin xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment