Pages

"Every Good and Perfect Gift Comes From Above" ~James 1:17

"Every Good and Perfect Gift Comes From Above" ~James 1:17
Thank you so much for coming to check out my brand spankin' new blog! I've never "blogged" before, so here goes nothin'! This page is inspired by our adoption process, and I am hoping to get words of encouragement or advice every step along the way :)

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Day 8: The Zoo in Shandong

I just have to take a moment to brag on my son. He's been amazing so far on this trip. He's tried new foods, most of which he didn't like, but he hasn't complained once about eating all sorts of different things than he's used to at weird times. Don't get me wrong, every other sentence he says is I'm hungry, but that's normal. He's always been a snacker. Emily seems to be the same way, eating all day long. But Austin has been such a trooper. We really have only been eating 2 meals a day. Our semi normal routine has been getting up at 5:30 (yes AM, we're still not used to this new time thing and may never be), Emily gets up at 6 or 6:30;so we have some morning quiet time. She likes to lay there watching us a while. Then we get everyone dressed and go down to our enormous buffet style breakfast. I thought our last hotel had a great Western breakfast but this one takes the cake. Literally, there's cakes lol. There are traditional Chinese foods, sushi, tea eggs, poached eggs, steamed eggs, quiche, scrambled eggs, and an omelet station. 5 kinds of juice including watermelon juice,  4 kinds of milk from whole to soy, 3 kinds of toast, 6 different pastries, noodles and rice, sausage and bacon, hash browns and roasted potatoes, roasted tomatoes, sautéed  veggies, baked beans, and traditional Chinese foods like steamed buns and dumplings. The fruit bar every day has whole and cut up Dragon fruit, watermelon, cantelope, mango, grapefruit, and mandarin oranges. There's a cheese and meat bar with brie and other cheeses, smoked salmon, and fried other little fishes I have no idea what they are. There's cereals, oatmeal, Chinese congee, donuts and pastries. Austin found a waffle station today that also had pancakes and crepes, with either syrup, honey, chocolate sauce, or about 5 fresh pureed fruits. I'm forgetting a lot but,  it's insane. I guess they think, or know, Americans love to eat!
So we eat a big breakfast and try to snack until around 2 or 3 when we get another big meal. Yesterday was papa John's, with chicken for me. Yes papa John's serves pizza but also noodle bowls and rice! Which was good because I have no idea what people would do when I asked for gluten free ;)
We went to a zoo today, we were only there about 2 hours but it was enough. It's getting colder every day and it was Emily's nap time towards the end so we had one upset toddler. Austin entertains her, plays with her, can't wait for her to get up from her naps or to wake up in the morning. He makes sure she doesn't have to pee, isn't hungry, and is warm. We keep having to tell him to get out of her face and to leave her alone at times because she gets annoyed. She's very self sufficient. But the second she's ready she puts her arms up and he's there to pick her up.
As a reward David has been taking Austin to the pool every day, it's heated and indoors. Usually the other families with kids are down there too for him to play with. We took Em one day as well, she wasn't having any part of it! We will try again at home when there's not so many people. We've gotta get this mountain girl ready for the beach!
The Zoo had the normal animals, elephants, tigers, giraffes, etc. We got to see some panda bears which was really neat, our first time! And another animal they had on display were seagulls. Interesting...
The boys are out getting our food right now (hunters and gatherers) while the 2 princesses stay in the warm room playing :) this situation works out well for me! I'm getting used to living in a hotel room that's cleaned every day with a huge king bed, but I miss home and we're only halfway through our trip!!! We leave for guangzhou tomorrow afternoon by airplane so we can test Emily's attitude towards flying. It's in South China and is much more temperate so I'm excited. Plus we can do laundry there cheap, I'm sick of washing clothes in the tub every night! Is much more Westernized there since all families that adopt go through guangzhou, and there's a little Mexican place and an Irish pub I've heard about that will help break up the constant Chinese food! Side note: of anyone is bringing us food when we get back, we want anything that's not Asian! ;) I love Chinese food but we are ready for our own comfort foods from home. And I want regular toilets, not sqauttie potties which are just holes in the ground with no toilet paper, soap, or paper towels in the bathroom anywhere. I want my new washing machine from home and to be able to order drinks with ice. I want Florida weather. I want to show Emily to my family and to be online whenever I want, not just when my vpn decides to work. I can't Facebook, check email, get on pinterest or even Google search Emily's condition because it's all blocked. So frustrating. But we are making the most of it, for 7 more days! Talk to you next from guangzhou :)
-Erin xoxo

1 comment: