Pages

"Every Good and Perfect Gift Comes From Above" ~James 1:17

"Every Good and Perfect Gift Comes From Above" ~James 1:17
Thank you so much for coming to check out my brand spankin' new blog! I've never "blogged" before, so here goes nothin'! This page is inspired by our adoption process, and I am hoping to get words of encouragement or advice every step along the way :)

Friday, January 10, 2014

It's a long road, but it's worth it!

I meant to post more once we got home. I really did. But life has been so busy and time has flown. Today we have officially had Emily in our arms for one whole month! Wow how things have changed! Right now she's running around the house naked, squealing in delight because baba (daddy) is chasing her, stopping only to lay on and smother with kisses the kitties she was so terrified of a few weeks ago. I never would have thought that Emily would be this well adjusted so quickly. She definitely prefers to be home with all of us and misses daddy when he's at work or Austin when he's at school. But she loves too when we go visit her grandma (lao lao) and papa, her aunts, her other grandma, and even their doggies! She is reserved at first in new situations or around new people, but give her some time and the free spirited little girl comes shining out. We've been through Christmas eve and Christmas day, meeting new people and eating new foods, surrounded by lots of noise and presents. She had a blast! We introduced her to the beach where she got sand in her toes and actually enjoyed it! New Year's eve we went to our friends' annual party, there were about 20 kids and over 30 adults, and at first Emily was attached to my hip. But eventually she found some food she liked (her first priority) and she found where the M&M's were hidden. Soon she was riding the toys around the house with all the rest of the kids! She passed out around 10 and we were actually able to stay long enough to watch the ball drop!
Now the holidays are over, David has gone back to work (boo!) and Austin started school again yesterday. The good news is with all of the school work we did with him over the break he is actually a little ahead of the game. But he's so excited to tell all of his friends about his sister and his trip and what he got for Christmas that I'm sure this little chatterbox will be sent home with a note soon. Typically it's for talking when they are supposed to be quiet. Either that or he was acting too silly. Don't know where he got that from. Wink wink.
When he comes home Emily is so excited, she loves following him around and playing outside when he's out there with his friends. Then David comes home around 6 and Emily gets this insane burst of energy right before bed. She crashes hard between 7 and 7:30, and sleeps until early the next morning when something wakes her up. I don't know if it is nightmares or what, but she used to wake up crying hysterically and shaking around 3 AM. We tried so many things to get her to go back to bed, rocking, taking her potty and putting her back down in her room, laying with her for a while in her room, nothing seemed to do much else but buy us 30 minutes or so until it happened again. And when we would lay with her she would whimper on and off and she was just restless. So I honestly haven't gotten a good night sleep since we went to China! But the last 2 nights she has woken up, come into our room without crying, and asked to be picked up. We bring her into our bed (not a habit I wanted to get into, but I'll take a few extra hours of sleep for sure!) and she goes back to bed. It's not a peaceful slumber, she tosses and turns more than Austin ever did which was a LOT. I'll wake up and she's at the foot of the bed with her butt up. Then she'll be laying across my body sideways. Then we wake up and she's got her face pressed against mine and her feet on David's head. Wild child. But it buys us some more time of rest so I'll take it!
This post really doesn't have a point other than to tell everyone that we are still alive, just trying to figure out a new normal for our family. Haven't gotten all of the pieces figured out, we may never, but we are working on it and every day gets a little better. I was actually able to iron today while she played at my feet with her shopping cart! That was HUGE! A few weeks ago I didn't think I'd ever be able to get anything done without David being here. She is very clingy still but will go off and explore on her own little by little. I haven't been able to cook a meal yet, I've tried and it hasn't been pretty! Emily doesn't understand why I can't feed her right away while I'm cooking, the toddler mindset comes out and it's all about ME and NOW! When she's hungry, which is all the time, you'd better be ready with food. Our pantry door fell off the other day (projects never end) and now she has free reign of all the food she can reach. That's been fun. When I lose sight of her in a second I can always find her trying to open the wrapper of her favorite snacks. Little stinker. When anyone enters the kitchen, she is right at their heels asking for food (she says "hungry" but it sounds like "guppy").
So until I figure out how to get her to play on her own, which I'm sure will come with time, we aren't eating many of my usual home cooked meals. That was my favorite part of being home when Austin was little, being able to cook. Right now Emily requires my constant attention, which I'm more than happy to give as I'm sure she lacked a lot of that until this point. We cover her in kisses, snuggles, hugs, I love you's, and tickles, until she can't take it any more. We've got 2 1/2 years to make up for, so she hasn't seen anything yet!
-Erin xoxo

1 comment:

  1. We are just starting our adoption and I was really encouraged by your post! So happy for your family!

    ReplyDelete